BC Chain of Custody (PDF Format)
Alberta Chain of Custody (PDF Format)
Frequently Asked Questions
- Where are you located?
- What type of testing do you offer?
- How do I get containers for sampling?
- How do I submit a sample?
- When will my results be ready?
- How do I get my results?
- What is Envirochain?
- How do I read my Drinking Water results?
- How do I find out who my account manager is?
- How do I sign up for client connect?
- Do I need special containers to test?
- What paperwork do I need to submit? Where can I find it?
- Do I need to book an appointment to drop off samples?
- How do I disinfect my well?
1. Where are you located?
We have three full laboratory locations in Richmond, Kelowna, and Edmonton. We also have a depot located in Whitehorse. Details can be found at the bottom of this page or by clicking here.
2. What type of testing do you offer?
3. How do I get containers for sampling?
(1) You can order some sampling containers and supplies directly through our online store – here.
(2) You can contact us by phone to place and arrange your sampling container order.
(3) Alternatively, you can stop by one of our locations in Richmond, Kelowna, Edmonton or Whitehorse and pick up sampling containers in person.
4. How do I submit a sample?
We recommend that you use a courier (Purolator, FedEx, ACE etc.) or drop-off your samples to one of our locations in person.
Depending on the analysis that you have requested, your sample may have a specific holding time (this is the time frame between sample collection and the time that a sample needs to be analyzed by to ensure accurate results). A document that outlines all of our holding times can be found here.
5. When will my results be ready?
The regular turn-around time for many of our analysis are 5 business days, however this may vary depending on the analysis that you have requested. When you receive your emailed sample receipt notice, the turn-around time will be stated under the “delivery plan” section.
6. How do I get my results?
We have several options for how you can receive your results:
(1) Email – our primary method of sending out results.
(2) We have a new web-interface called Client Connect that allows you to directly access your results 24/7 online, in real-time.
Sign-up for Client Connect here.
(3) Mailed reports are available for those who do not have access to email when requested.
To confirm that you will receive your results in the desired format, please look at the delivery plan on your emailed sample receipt notice. The delivery plan will indicate who is receiving the reports and invoice, and in what format.
7. What is Envirochain?
Envirochain provides an online alternative to traditional 3-ply CoCs. You can access Envirochain through the main project screen in Client Connect.
Remember the last time you got a hand written letter in the mail? Neither do we! Get out your iPad, iPhone, laptop or PC and prepare to experience a system that will forever change the way you interact with your favorite lab. Please contact us for training.
8. How do I read my Drinking Water results?
We understand that reading reports can sometimes be tricky. On the third page of your report, we have included a glossary of terms that will appear throughout your report. On your report, you will see an acronym breakdown here (i.e. MAC, AO, etc).
If any results are bolded, this indicates that a concentration has been detected. If any results are coloured in red, this means that they are outside of the maximum acceptable concentration (MAC). On your report, we include the standard drinking water guidelines. This is located in the column directly to the right of your results.
For an example report that has been fully explained, click here: How-to: Reading a CARO Drinking Water Report
If you would like more information about what is in your water, please check out our summary of the Canadian Drinking Water Guidelines.
9. How do I find out who my account manager is?
Your account manager can be found on your login notice, client connect, as well as your report.
10. How do I sign up for client connect?
You can sign up for client connect online (click here), or you can sign up in-person at one of our locations.
Once the sign up form is completed you will be provided with a username and password.
11. Do I need special containers to test?
We have listed the required containers for each analysis on the following document: http://caro.ca/Documents/Container_Preservation.pdf
12. What paperwork do I need to submit? Where can I find it?
A Chain of Custody form (“mechanism for tracing the lineage of a sample from the time of collection through reporting of results to sample disposal”) is required when you submit samples to one of our laboratories. You can pick up a chain of custody form at one of our locations, or you can use the electronic COC found here.
Or, if you don’t like doing paperwork…Sign up for Envirochain (through Client Connect) and submit samples directly into our system!
13. Do I need to book an appointment to drop off samples?
Appointments are not necessary, however, if you require your results on a “rush” turn-around time (faster than our regular 5 business days), please contact the lab ahead of time to confirm we are able to accommodate your request. Otherwise, you may drop-off or courier samples to one of our locations during regular business hours.
14. How do I disinfect my well?
The provincial government in collaboration with the BC groundwater association and Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada has outlined the steps of disinfecting your well. These steps can be found at the following link: http://www.fraserbasin.bc.ca/_Library/TR/water_well_disinfection.pdf